POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : orrery : Re: orrery Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: orrery
From: Bill Hails
Date: 6 Apr 2003 16:49:41
Message: <3e9092e5@news.povray.org>
Will W wrote:

> I think this is great as is! But since you are asking for comments...
>
> Have you tried a lighter colored wood in the wainscotting? I'd like to see
> what it would look like with a wood of about the same tone as the picture
> frames (maybe keeping the chair rail the same as it is now).

Actually I'd thought darker, to kind of echo the portrait on the wall,
fading to black in the shadows.

> The wallpaper is too distracting for my taste. Partly I think it isn't
> flat enough: it seems to have depth of its own. Partly I think it's too
> busy and colorful-- it really deserves to be the centerpiece of its own
> picture-- here it seems to be trying to steal the show.

Yes, now you mention it. I'd thought of calling the picture "God's Orrery"
but that might have caused offence, maybe, esp with the connotations of
"Gods Drawing Room", "God's Wallpaper" etc :-)
Anyway that was the idea. I just don't know what to replace it with.

> Can something be done with the edges of the planets with dense
> atmospheres? That could make a nice distinction between the Moon and
> Earth.

Maybe, but in the planetary images I've looked at I don't see that
distinction.

> Is the Moon's appearance accurate for the face that we're seeing? I'm just
> curious about that.

well it's just an orthographic image_map onto a sphere, the main
problem then being keeping the sphere facing the camera. Of course
since the image is taken from Earth the moon is therefore facing the
wrong way, but I haven't found any Mercator projections of the moon
I could use for a uv_mapping.

> Again, I like this very much as is. But you did ask!

Thanks very much! It's only my 3rd real attempt with Pov.

--
I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids!